W. Scott Sonntag
The Law Offices of W. Scott Sonntag, P.A. has been named BEST MEDIATION FIRM IN MARYLAND by the state’s premier law and business newspaper; The Daily Record.
W. Scott Sonntag graduated from the University of Maryland with high honors in 1975 and obtained his law degree from Catholic University in 1979. Following graduation from law school, Scott served as a law clerk to The Honorable C. Murray Bernhardt of the United States Court of Claims.
Scott is the sole principal of the Law Offices of W. Scott Sonntag, P.A. Prior to his work representing medical malpractice plaintiffs, Scott defended physicians, hospitals, HMOs, and other health care providers as lead trial counsel for over 17 years. His career as a defense attorney began at the law firm of O'Malley and Miles, until he later founded the law firm of Doran, Siciliano, Gallagher, Sonntag, and DeBlasis, LLP. At both firms, he chaired their professional liability practice groups.
Throughout his professional career, Scott has been actively involved in various bar association committees. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Governors of the Trial lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., as well as the Peer Review Committee of the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland. As a defense attorney, Scott was Chair of the Professional Malpractice Committee and Judicial Selections Committee for the Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel. He was also just recently named one of Maryland's and Washington D.C.'s "Super Lawyers" by Law and Politics and the publishers of Baltimore Magazine for 2007 through 2016.
Scott is a frequent speaker on medical malpractice issues for the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association, The Maryland State Bar Association, and various physician, hospital, HMO, and health care provider organizations. In addition, he has testified before the District of Columbia City Council and Maryland General Assembly in opposition to attempts to restrict the rights of victims of medical malpractice and other torts.
Scott is married to Mary Lynn Reed, Associate General Counsel at The George Washington University, and a former partner at Jackson and Campbell, P.C. He has three children who are all professional actors: Dan (28) (2005 graduate of Catholic University School of Musical Theater); Amy (26) (May 13, 2006 graduate of Catholic University School of Musical Theater); and Andrew (24) (graduate of the School of Drama at Catholic University). In his spare time, Scott spends his time chasing after his two Golden Retriever puppies, Connor and Callie.
- Super Lawyer in Maryland 2007 through 2016
- Super Lawyer in Washington, DC in 2007 through 2016.
- Best Lawyers in America in 2007 through 2016
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Legal Malpractice
- Maryland, 1981
- District of Columbia, 1979
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1979
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- B.S. - 1975
- Honors: With High Honors
- Major: Government & Politics
- Speaker, Medical Malpractice Issues, Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
- Speaker, Medical Malpractice, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
- Speaker, Medical Malpractice Issues, The Maryland State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer in Maryland
- Super Lawyer in Washington, DC
- Best Lawyers in America
- Trial Lawyer of the Year
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland
- NADN (National Association of Distinguished Neutrals)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Prince George's County Bar Association, Member
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Maryland Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Member, Board of Governors
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Former Chairman, Professional Malpractice Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association, Former Member, Judicial Selections Committee
- Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, Member, Peer Review Committee
- Elected to American Board of Trial Advocates
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable C. Murray Bernhardt, U.S. Court of Claims, Law Clerk, 1980 to 1980
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Pi Sigma Alpha